In a shocking expose, it was revealed that Malaysia’s Central Bank Governor Zeti Aziz and Nazir Razak brother of the Malaysian Prime Minister cooperated to carry out a hostile take over of Southern Bank.
1. Malaysian regulations require the Central Bank’s approval for all transactions of shares involving banks. This falls under the discretion of the acting Governor Zeti Aziz.
2. Bank Negara rejected Southern Bank’s 2.07 billion ringgit bid to buy a controlling stake in insurer Asia General Holdings. The bid was a key element in Southern bank’s defense strategy against a hostile take over by CIMB.
3. Bank Negara approved the take over bid for Southern Bank by CIMB.
What is clearly seen is the power of politics on commercial activities. Bank Negara rules require the Central Bank’s approval before an intended bank can even negotiate with a target party.
This regulation gave BNM the power to reject all potential rival bidders for Southern bank. In summary the lopsided regulations allowed Zeti Aziz to force Southern bank to sell to Nazir Razak’s CIMB.
4. It was revealed by ICIJ that several of these bank accounts belonged to family members of Zeti Aziz. The structure is similar to that of which we have seen previously with Taib Mahmood.
Offshore bank accounts controlled by the BNM Governor’s family were created using several layers of proxy companies in order to hide the true identity of the account owners.
It is understood that this was to facilitate the illicit transfer of payment from Nazir Razak to Zeti Aziz.
5. According to ICIJ leaks Nazir Razak has an offshore account with striking similarities with the Zeti Aziz family set up. Shortly after Nazir Razak’s offshore accounts were created preparations for the hostile take over of Southern Bank took place.
Will Zeti Aziz come clean?
Why hide the identity of the offshore bank account owners in several layers of proxy companies, if all transactions are above board?
UBS AG Singapore was used to set up companies registered under Porticulis TrustNet (BVI) Limited. An offshore entity known as Sharecorp Limited acted as nominee shareholder which was followed by additional layers of proxy companies where by Sharecorp Limited was listed as a shareholder of a company called Execorp Limited which was listed as nominee shareholder of Mermeden Ltd which listed shareholding rights in the companies Iron Rhapsody Limited and Glittering Snow international ltd.
If Zeti Aziz and her family have nothing to hide and their offshore bank accounts are perfectly legal, then why have they not come forward with evidence to disprove the veracity of the allegations thrown at them?
If no crime has been committed then why has there been no submission to an investigation to clear your name?
The deafening silence builds the case that there is something to hide.
Why doesn’t the Central bank governor believe in the very financial system that she is entrusted to protect? Keeping tainted money in offshore bank accounts as opposed to holding it locally brings forth several questions as to the stability of Malaysia’s financial system.
Strategy of killing the messenger
Several blogs and websites have been used to attack the credibility of the recounter linking it to pro-government forces on one side and labeling it as an opposition mouth piece on the other.
Let us be clear on one thing. The Recounter does not represent either side of the political spectrum. We are concerned with the regression of Malaysia caused by the failures of the very institutions that are meant to protect against abuses of power.